Thursday 24 November 2016

Competitor Analysis

This is some game footage from GTA 5, it shows multiple screen shots of players fulfilling activates at various points within the game. The top image shows two players mid way through a mission. here we can see they are both well equipped with weapons, there is blood on the floor and they are running, there are also big objects they can hide behind and other players on the map, this shows the action in this action and adventure game. The fact they have weapons and the layout of the map looks like this suggests they are probably in a game mode within the game possibly a team death match, this is very interactive as it relies on the players thought processes and actions to determine the outcome.  

This is an online team deathmatch where the players are playing against each other to get the most kills on the opposing team determining the winner with the highest score. This is great multiplayer features I would like to include in my game.
This is a mission within story mode, as you can see the character Michael is involved in heavy combat. I very much like the setting in this location, I will try to incorporated a dirty abandon building in my game.




This is an online heist, the players are parachuting onto a boat. I very much like the freedom of being able to do mostly whatever you want whenever you want especially something adventurous as skydiving, I will try to make many activities as accessible in my game.




These two images were taken from general gameplay, the character franklin is aiming a gun at cervillians in the game. This is very odd to do when playing as in real life this would be illegal, this added an element of excitement when playing and made me want to play on, I will try and incorporate this in my game.










This was another inamge taken within a task online, as you can see a player is dangling from the areoplane wing. Again this is more action that wouldn't take place in real life so brings that element of excitement, I would like to add features like this into my game.

Borderlands 3 is an action, role-playing, first-person shooter video game set in a space western/science fantasy location. The objective of the game is to travel to a different planet to the steal their vault. The player must complete mini quests and adventures before completing the game. This games is very interactive as you can see, the player is in control of 3 characters, the player must also control where the character moves and what weapons they use. As you can see from the images below there are many ways for the character to travel around the map again meaning the choice of travel the character uses is dependant on the players input, another interactive feature of this game.
I like the look of this gun, it is well suited to its environment, I will ensure all assets in my games do this. I also like the abnormal colouring however, this would not suit the style of my game.
I very much like the aiming style here as it still gives you a good view of your surroundings while aiming. I would like to incorporate a feature like this into my game to make it easier for the player.
I find the lasers here very appealing and think my target audience, on some level i would like to include these but maybe laser sights to keep it realistic.
All of these images were taken at different stages of general combat within borderlands. While some features were very appealing to me I feel the combat style is very un realistic and therefore, would not include it in my game.


Tomb Raider is another action adventure game, the main protagonist is Lara Croft. She must navigate through unfamiliar environments to get the treasure hidden somewhere within the game. There are many moves such as running, climbing, jumping and swinging which she must perform to get thought the environments, all of these are controlled by the player much like all the other games I have researched. Overall I have found that action adventure games are very dependant on the player when it comes to the movements and actions of the character, I feel this genre in particular relies on a lot of player interaction to achieve objectives.


I like the rustic appeal in this shot of the game, I think it is realistic and the hanging debris brings the element of outside into the cave to show the player is not detached. I also like the low level lighting showing they are not relying on electricity, I would like to try and include this in my game, maybe in the derelict building I spoke about from GTA.
I especially like the subtitles here, the yellow really makes them standout. I will include subtitles. When text appears on the screen I will ensure it pops out as much as this so the player can see it clearly.
All of the colours like in and I especially the subtle hints of red every now and then. I will try and match colours subtlety like this.
All these images were taken from a mission in the game Tomb Raider, as you can see she is using a fire torch so she can see, there is a lot of action in a cave with water, fire and a lot of debris to use and avoid.

Here is my competitor analysis, here explains games within the action adventure, much like the research into existing products, I played the game then analysed them. As far as research goes i find this reliable as it came from me first hand after I played them. This research would be more reliable if I had a team that condcuted it as it would have elimanted any personal bias from myself. I very much like the online features seen in GTA's online missions, I will try and incorporate this into my game. I also like the dirty unclean look from tomb raiders cave, at some point I will make sure there is a location in my game with low lighting and scattered debris to bring some erie excitement to the game. Finally, I like the aiming styles when looking down the guns from borderlands, I will try and incorporate this into my game.The benefits of this kind of research is that it allows me to see two things: 1) What my competitors are doing so that I can see what they do well and use that for inspiration. 2) I can look for holes in their products and think of ways to out do them.



























No comments:

Post a Comment